Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mexican Spiced Tomato Soup

The other day when I was blessed with a visit from the consumer claims fairy I was eating some delicious tomato soup that I said I'd post about later. Well follow the link to find the recipe, it's a really good one. I love it because previously my "lentil soup" recipe consisted of water, lentils and curry powder. So this one is WAY better.


If you're too lazy to follow the link the recipe is below, but I wanted to make sure props went where they belong (Sophie Gray, Destitute Gourmet).

Ingredients For Mexican Spiced Tomato Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions chopped
|3 tsp Mexican seasoning – see below
3 cloves garlic
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 ½ cups red lentils
6 cups of beef stock – allow 1 heaped tsp of stock powder per cup of water
1/3 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ cup of chopped fresh coriander – substitute with parsley if not available
Sour cream to garnish – optional

Mexican seasoning

In an airtight container or small jar combine the following:
1 heaped tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chilli powder



Method

In a large saucepan heat the oil, add the onions and garlic and cook until light golden.
Mix in 3 tsp of the Mexican seasoning then add tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, lentils and sugar.
Bring to the boil and stir, then reduce the temperature and simmer for 45 minutes. Add chopped fresh herbs and garnish with a dollop of sour cream.

Cooks tips: The Mexican seasoning mix once made can be used to season mince for Mexican meals or added to potato wedges or refried beans for authentic
Mexican flavour


Once again, recipe belongs to Sophie Gray, Destitute Gourmet, and can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that looks so good! I love how you post the link to AND the recipe. You are forcing deliciousness on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even thought to put a quesadilla with my taco soup!!!! That is brilliant.

    I'm so hungry my stomach is starting to snack on itself. And lunch is still an hour away. And it is not taco soup. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - This is what you call taco soup? Go figure. They didn't even have tacos in NZ 15 years ago.

    Nicole - You should definitely try this! On the super upside of this recipe is the fact that lentils have no fat! None! So I just gobble this stuff down.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?