Saturday, September 19, 2009

Great Escape Meme Contest

This is a contest entry for those crazy folks at TodaysMama and Cricut. Be sure to check out Cricut's cool new cartridges and the chance at $30,000 in travel for you and your friends at the Great Gypsy Escape site! http://bit.ly/FWcud
(please forgive the mandatory copy and paste)

Great Escape Meme

1. If you could escape to anywhere in the world where would it be?
  • Hawaii or Samoa. Both hot, tropical type places. Hawaii would be my 5 star escape, whereas Samoa I would explore a more authentic experience.
2. What song do you play when you are by yourself in the car?
  • Besides the fact that I don't have a full license so I'm NEVER in the car by myself, what I WOULD play is Jason Mraz, I'm Yours. And I'd totally sing. Even the parts where you just make up what he's saying because you don't know the words (by "you" I really mean "me").
3. If you had a night to yourself, and money was no object, what would you do?
  • Go to a day spa (assuming one was open at night) and get all the treatments available, then stay at the flashest hotel in the city (the one that celebrities stay at when they visit where you get to pick your sheets by material type and how they were laundered) and order room service all night long.
4. What is your guilty pleasure?
  • Baked goods. All things home baking. I'm a real baked goods type gal. Muffins, cakes, cinnamon rolls, cookies... The list goes on. Believe me. There are many pleasures that I enjoy but this is the one I feel guilty about, because my "off switch" in this department is a lot harder to reach. As is the "full" marking at the top of my appetite.
5. What is the farthest place you have traveled away from your home?
  • I live in Wellington, New Zealand. The farthest away that I've been is Ohio, USA.
6. Last book that you couldn't put down?
  • I'm ashamed to admit it, but it was The Twilight series. I've read other books recently, really I have. But those books were the last ones that I've read that caused me to forsake home, family and sleep to finish "just one more chapter".
7. When you want to escape into another time, what movie do you watch?
  • I generally don't rerun movies too often in my house unless it's for my son. So easily the movie that has been played the most times in my house that wasn't for under 5's entertainment is Hairspray. I've tried getting Theo to watch it so that I have an excuse to put it on, and sometimes he will sit for a couple minutes. But it doesn't beat out animated features in his books, even though it way smokes the pants off in mine. I'll keep trying. My sister Erika tells me she's programmed her son to love Gene Kelly by showing him YouTube videos. So maybe all I need is perseverance.
8. What is your favorite local escape?
  • Visiting my parents who live an hour away out of the city (Kapiti Coast). They have free* heating, free* food in many a variety, I'm responsible for less chores and there are built in babysitters. It's the best. I don't go nearly enough.
9. How do you escape on a budget?
  • See Q.8! We also like having a free Fatso trial, giving us free movies every night we're on "trial". Kids are in bed by 7pm (even if they don't go to sleep then) giving me a long evening to myself.
10. Best food you've ever had while on vacation.
  • Hands down, Ice-cream sandwiches. We don't have anything at all remotely like them in New Zealand. I first remember having them in Hawaii when I was 14. THE BEST. They were exactly $1 including tax (which was good to know, because since in NZ tax is included in everything I wasn't used to all this adding on tax business), which made it soooo easy to go down to the hotel store and pick up a few.
Want to go in the draw yourself? Feel free to blog about it! Here's a link to the contest instructions.

*Free meaning I don't have to pay for it. A tiny pang of guilt runs through me when I sit in front of a fan heater for extended periods of time or dig a block of chocolate out of "food storage" while staying with my parents. But then Mum tells me "There's a heater in the laundry that you can move to the bedroom" or exclaims "It's cold! We need a heater on!" or Dad says "What flavour have you got there?" and it's all forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. Your asterisked note is the funniest thing about this post. I'm cried a little with silent laughter and nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have ice cream sandwiches in NZ?!?! Clearly you live like savages down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - some of us do. I'm glad that you seem suffeciently alarmed at this fact. It sucks that you can't get someone to bring these back for you (to NZ) from anywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?