Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Kerry's/Mariah's Pumpkin Soup

Mariah's Pumpkin Soup


2 Tbsp butter
1 onion
1 tsp garam masala
4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 pumpkin
1 can coconut cream (the 400ish grams size)
Water
4 chicken stock cubes

Saute onion and garam masala in butter for a couple minutes. Add garlic and ginger and continue for another couple minutes. Add chopped pumpkin (skin and seeds removed) and coconut cream and fill the pot with water to cover the pumpkin (only just). Add stock cubes (they dissolve easily in warm liquids, you don't have to crumble them. I learned). Blend till smooth once cooked (takes 40-50 minutes to cook).

-----------------------------------

I adapted a recipe that my friend's mother gave me to get this one. Her name is Kerry, so my recipe says "Kerry's Pumpkin Soup". Her recipe used fresh/crushed in a jar ginger. I never have that so just use ground and it's fine I think. She also used 1 Tbsp crushed garlic from a jar, so I try to match that amount with fresh, crushed. She used a whole pumpkin and a half can of coconut cream. I reversed that to 1/2 a pumpkin, like a half of a large crown pumpkin, maybe 800g-1kg?, and a whole can of coconut cream. It makes the texture of the finished soup just perfect. It seems semi-solid when it's cold, like taking a ladle out of the pot will leave a ladle shape. But once it's warmed it's thick and creamy. Mostly I made these changes to suit what I have on hand when I make it, but it's turned out a winning combination. When I've had a whole pumpkin to use I've doubled the recipe, whereas my friends mother would just add extra pumpkin without doubling it.

1 comment:

Thoughts?