Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Graduation Day


I've been given a new calling, or responsibility, at church. I know. When it rains it pours right? A year with no responsibility while pregnant/having new baby Sadie, and now two callings. But then they released me from the Sunday school teaching. I was sad.

Especially because I was attending at a different ward that day due to my new calling.

I couldn't bear to say goodbye yet so I facebooked the person in charge of organising a teacher for the following week. He was relieved that he wouldn't have to find a teacher.

I promised I would bring yummy treats to say goodbye with. Then I remembered it was going to be Fast Sunday. Guts. No treats.

I stayed up till 1:30am Sunday morning preparing for the following day due to Sunday school lesson preparation and new calling preparation: Stake Young Women's presidency. We were holding a training meeting Sunday night that I had to do a 20 minute presentation at. Yikes.

Sunday school comes around. The real reason I didn't want to say goodbye to teaching the Singles yet: the lesson scheduled for the week is on marriage. Teaching a lesson on marriage to singles = priceless! I started by asking them why married people love talking to single people about being married. Their answers:
"To warn them!"
"To brag!"
"I sure would like to know the answer to that!"
Among others.

My answer: "Maybe those are true of other people but for me, being married makes me happy. And I want that happiness for all of you."
"Awwwwwww."
The lesson went well.

Later I was told almost too well. I replied that I wanted to go out with a bang.

"We'll miss you as our teacher. It was nice to be alive for a while." What a compliment! I'm told the previous teacher was "a little dry".

Onto the evening training meeting. All went well apart from me forgetting a table cloth and speaking a little over time. I'm going to purchase a large clock to put in the back of the room every time I need to talk in public so that I can learn how to pace myself better. Probably not, but I do need to learn how to pace myself better.

After all that I'm glad to be dropping one set of responsibililites. I was sad to be leaving the YSA, it was nice to get to know them a bit better. But I know that I was given that job as training wheels for what was coming up. I went from a novice teacher, with preschool age experience, to teaching adults, to training adults. I would have been a wreck without that middle stage.

If you're not LDS think of the jargon as code. Here's a glossary, with links to mormon.org where I got the definitions:
calling - A duty, position, or responsibility in the Church that is issued to a member by priesthood leaders. A calling is an opportunity to serve.
ward - A local congregation of about three hundred to eight hundred members. Ward boundaries are determined geographically.
Fast Sunday - Fast Sunday, which is generally the first Sunday of the month, is designated as a time to fast for two meals and bear testimony in a sacrament meeting.
Stake - A group of congregations or wards, generally about three thousand to five thousand members in five to ten congregations.
Young Women - A youth organization of the Church for young women ages 12-18. Young women meet for religious instruction on Sunday, and during the week for other activities designed to strengthen relationships, develop skills, and build testimonies of Christ.
Presidency - A group of people called to preside over an organization, consisting of a president and his or her counselors.
Singles aka Young Single Adults or YSA - A program of the Church for unmarried adults ages 18-30. The program includes religious instruction as well as activities where young people can meet and socialize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?