Sunday, March 21, 2010

My gingerbread recipe

I altered a caramel cookies recipe to come up with this recipe which worked well for my gingerbread men.


Gingerbread (for men and cut out cookies)

200g/ 3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp golden syrup
1 egg
2 generous cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps ginger
2 tsps cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. Add syrup and egg and beat until fluffy. Mix in flour until it's wet enough to hold but dry enough to roll (around two cups). Roll out to .5-1cm thick. Cut shapes and place on greased tray. They won't spread much so you can pack them on. Bake for 10 min at 180 Celcius.

------------------

- If they're thicker the cookies will be softer, if they're thinner they will be crisp. Both are good.
- You don't have to cream or beat too much. I did it by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Minus the spices, egg and 1/4 cup of butter to make caramel cut out cookies
- Minus a cup of flour (ish) as well as the above substitutions for caramel cookies, the type you make into a ball and squish with a fork.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I think I'll try these with the kids this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?