Saturday, May 1, 2010

Trust fall

I ran a Trust Fall at a youth event at my church today. It was a Fear Factor activity for 12 and 13 year olds.

I wish I'd had a turn falling, but I didn't.

It gave me such an awesome feeling seeing these kids being serious, listening, following instructions and succeeding. They were really excited by it. There had been some skepticism amongst the adults during the planning stages about whether or not this would work. I was sure it would. I'm so glad I went through with it.

Some of the time I had to tell the kids "It's ok, they will catch you." when I wasn't actually certain they would. I knew no one would get hurt, but I didn't know if every fall would be caught properly. I had particular doubts with some of the bigger kids. But I taught them the proper strategies and let them try when the felt confident they could do it. I told them all that they could do it, and they believed me. And they did do it. And it was awesome.

I think I'm on a Trust Fall high. If anyone finds another opportunity for me to get a fix, let me know. I'm now an experienced Trust Fall Leader (I wasn't before today, even though all instructions include a disclaimer that one must be present to perform the falls. Whoops!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?