Thursday, July 1, 2010

Let me count the ways...

I've just started going to the gym. It's AWE SOME.

A couple weeks ago a friend gave me a pass for 5 free workouts at Les Mills. I managed to go twice in the evening and bring friends to fill the other 3 spots on my pass. On my first day an experienced friend who is a member at that gym gave me a tour and talked me through a workout (she also happens to be and Osteopath. Best. Person. Ever. to go with for my first gym workout). On the second day I worked out in the Cardio Cinema (awesome right?) on the bike and ran on a treadmill for the first time. LOVED IT.

Then the pass expired on Sunday. And I'd used all the free workouts anyway. It had been fun.

THEN, on Tuesday, my Osteopath friend emailed me a coupon for a free month trial membership that had just been released. It's just a good time to be me I guess. Got my free pass today!

I never would have thought I'd be a gym person, but by going somewhere to exercise, it really helps me to exercise. It's sounds a bit funny, but if you think of it this way, once I get there, what else am I going to do?

Anyway, I totally love it.

I did my first ever class today, BodyPump. It's a 45 minute workout, with WEIGHTS. It was totally awesome. I introduced myself to the instructor and told her it was my first time. She asked me to move to the front so that she could direct me better. She would call to me by name to correct me throughout the workout. Some people might hate that but I loved it. To make things even better, another friend of mine happened to turn up to do the same class and worked out right next to me even though she hates being up the front. It was super fun.

Now, every part of me hurts pretty much. But especially my legs. The longer I am still, the harder it is to move them. When I came down the stairs afterwards I was gripping the handrail like nobody's business, because I literally would have fallen down if I hadn't.

But I'm loving it! It's good pain. Can't wait to go back.

3 comments:

  1. OH YAY I am so glad you are loving it. I really wanted to give it a go but i was too nervous to go alone.

    I've heard that the classes are the best part of a gym membership coz they are intense and alot of fun. I did a few in aussie and love love loved it.

    See you next week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That good pain is going to rock your world in the morning. Just a little friendly warning. I'm glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johanna - Surely someone can hook you up for this month too and we can go together? It'd be awesome.

    Mandi - Of course, you were right. Even walking...

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?