Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What would you ask for?

If God asked you what you wanted for him to give to you, as he did King Solomon in the Bible (or a genie, pixie, O.W. Grant or another character that you find easier to use for this experiment), what would you choose? ("exnay on wishing for more wishes")

King Solomon chose wisdom. Very good. What would YOU choose?

I've decided that people would probably ask for whatever they feel they need most at that time. Or a solution to whatever their biggest problem at the time is.

Solomon gets wisdom shortly after being made king and = the best King ever. His biggest worry/responsibility/problem/need was to do with being King.

Don't you think?

Anyway. We had this discussion in Sunday school at church recently, and the teacher said,
"Most people would ask for a million dollars or something, right?"
And I thought:
"No way!"

Do you know what I would wish for? I would wish that all of my children would always sleep and eat how I would like them too. Then I would have children coming out my ears and it would all work out because they could sleep as many in a bedroom as I liked or anywhere at all and eat whatever I made for whatever meal and a lot of my life's problems would be solved. There would be children with my DNA all over the place. (So now you know what my biggest worry/responsibility/problem/need is at the moment.)

I think that this formula would work 99% of the time.

I can already tell you what the exception would be. It would by my husband, who would wish that he never had to cut his fingernails or toenails ever again.

I always thought that a husband in a relationship like mine and Nat's would justifiably want millions of dollars or something similar, because he's the provider and that's his lot for the rest of his life. It's his biggest worry/responsibility/problem/need (isn't it?). Cue: millions and problem solved.

But no. Not my Nat. Just spare him from trimming his nails for the rest of his life and he'd be happy.

8 comments:

  1. I love this.

    I would struggle big time if I had to pick one wish...

    tough call

    I think this is funny because as I write this I am doing my toenails. Bright orange just for some wintery fun.

    xxx lets not leave it so long till we hang next. im thinking next week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hil....arious.

    I'm with you, I'd probably pick, "That I will conceive easily and as often as I like"...or something.

    I don't know. Give me time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Ange on this one - conceive healthy babies first - millions of dollars second ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. d'oh! i was gonna say more wishes, but only coz im not creative enough to think of something useful. id probably waste mine on a free trip around the world or something like that. give ME time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to sound really pretentious, but the first thing I thought when I saw your blog title is I'd wish for "peace in the hearts of men". I'd extend that to all people, not just men, but the idea holds.

    Probably because my biggest worry right now (given that I'm spending today not worrying about myself because that got to be too much) is what to do with Africa. As if I could make a decison and it would all just be ok.

    I love the genie reference. Would it be acceptable to wish for unlimited magic lamps? Becuase then the unlimited wishes is just a given, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would probably go with some sort of job/financial security. Eric and I feel really blessed to have good jobs right now. Not great, but good. Our financial needs are met. I'd really prefer to quit working when my mancub gets here, but that's not in the cards for us right now. So yeah, my one wish would be for Eric to not ever have to worry about his career.

    Also maybe for unlimited ability to travel when and where I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A better grasp on life. I would love that feeling of "Yeah, I totally got this."

    Also, to never have to cut my nails again. I am cursed with thick, healthy nails that grow like weeds when all I've ever wanted were stubs. I don't even like biting my nails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would wish for contentment. That sounds like I'm shortchanging myself, but think about it, if you were truly content with you life just as it is now - problems and challenges and all how happy and 'able to cope' and be open to all the goodness in the world would you be? Yup - contentment, that would be top of my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?