Thursday, September 23, 2010

My favourite treat

I love avocado. I eat it plain on bread as a sandwich. I adore burgers with avocado (and if they have bacon as well, I almost lose my free will and have to order it). It's good on pizza. It's great in salad. And it makes the best. ever. milkshake.

Trust me friends. This one's a keeper.

Avocado Milkshake


1/2-1 whole ripe avocado
4 or more scoops of vanilla ice cream
2-3 cups of milk
approx. 1/2 395g tin of sweetened condensed milk

Put the ingredients into a blender and blend to mix. Serve immediately, preferably in a tall glass with a straw. YUM.

Tips:
- We normally use a whole avocado, but on occasion have used a half and had almost the same results. I think I end up needing to sweeten it a bit more when we use a whole avocado.
- The ice cream determines the thickness of the milkshake. More for thicker, less for thinner.
- The milk makes the blend possible. It can also thin the milkshake out if yours ends up too thick. It's tricky because you need just the right amount. Err on the side of caution and put less in to start, then add more if you need it.
- The sweetened condensed milk is what sweetens the milkshake. I was told I would need about 1/3 a tin, but have always used more like 1/2. Once again though, add less to start, taste, then add more if you need to.

The first time I tasted this, I'll admit, I didn't think it was the best thing I'd ever tasted it. By the time I finished my glass I was hesitant to share it with Nat as I'd promised. After the second blender that I made, all I see when I look at an avocado is a milkshake. It's my favourite treat, of all time. And THAT my friends, is a BIG statement.

All credit goes to my friend Charles Turner, who gave me the idea and his approx. recipe. He said he drank these at a shop in Australia, but the ingredients were a little different. Either way, I'm so glad this ended up in my bag of tricks.

If you like avocado, you must try this recipe. Just trust me and try it.

If you don't like avocado, you should still consider trying this recipe. Think about all the gelato flavours that work that don't necessarily sound promising before you've tried them. The first that springs to my mind: Pistachio.

Let me know how it goes!

5 comments:

  1. Ill have to try this
    would probably be really good for you too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe -we love avocado. I mace a killer avocado and chocolate cake just last week that was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmmmmmm. I love these. And now I want one. But you can't get an avacado here to save your life.

    I had some pistacio gellato on Saturday and it was an enormous disappointment. Normally I'm a fan but it was so sweet I nearly went into a diabetic coma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll all have to tell me what you think after you've tried it, hopefully with good reports!

    Rachel - You've had one of these before? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?