Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Leftover" slice

I made this slice yesterday.


I'm calling it "Leftover" slice. Not the most apetising name (or photo). If you have a better one throw it at me.

It was roughly:

Leftover Slice

Base
2 pieces of banana cake
1 piece of chocolate cake
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

Icing
1/4 Chocolate icing (icing sugar, cocoa, butter, milk)
2 Tbsp Cream cheese icing
2 Tbsp Sour cream

Crumble the cake pieces into breadcrumb size, then add the other dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add the melted butter and stir to form large clumps. Add sweetened condensed milk until it becomes a sticky dough. Turn into a lined tin and bake at 180 Celcius until firm(ish), about 10-15 minutes Remove from oven knowing it will harden or "set" on cooling/standing, the same way you take out cookies early so that they stay chewy. For icing, heat chocolate icing till warm, then melt other icings in chocolate icing to combine. (As you can tell from the photo I didn't reach a good consistency, but I'm sure someone else could do better. I never seem to get my icing right.) Ice slice when cool(ish) and enjoy!

If it isn't obvious already, I used all the leftover things in the fridge that were in little containers all over the place and made a slice with them. I remembered seeing a recipe for "recycled cake" before, that used leftover old cake in the new recipe. I have also been wanting to dive in to the world of cake pops, but never have. So I was thinking I could make this work. Take a look at the list of ingredients, what could go wrong? (I used sour cream instead of cream cheese to finish an opened pottle in the fridge, rather than open a new one for a couple spoons. In the true spirit of finishing off the leftovers.)

So they turned out great. Nat told me they were delicious today, and from him that's a great compliment. Mostly my baking passes as edible or doesn't pass at all, so I was pleased.

The thing is, I didn't make the chocolate cake or banana cakes and we don't have graham crackers in NZ (my crumbs were leftover from a previous import), so I can pretty much never make this (the same) ever again.

Oh well! It's been a great two days! (It's all gone already. Yes! Success!)

2 comments:

  1. delicious yes, but the thought of what it was makes me want to throw up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy - where do you get the graham crackers from? I love them. Tonight I am finally making your bok choy pork dish as we just got our veggies yesterday from Cairns and we have a visitor - hope it looks and tastes as good as yours! Tx:)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?