Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Weekly Time Map

I've just finished making a Weekly Time Map for myself, to stop me squandering my time. I first heard of the idea almost two years ago here (was so happy to find that link again!). I really like the idea of a time map, because I am really talented at procrastinating/doing nothing/wasting time/staying up late for no reason. A time map isn't a schedule, it isn't set in stone. But it's something to start with, or, an ideal. It couples as my list of daily and weekly "to-do's" and helps me prioritize that list.

My first Weekly Time Map that I ever compiled, back then, looked like this: (just to give you a rough idea)


Less than two years later, life has changed. My new time map looks like this:


More rows, more columns, more complicated.

Now the things on my map aren't spectacular, and many people wouldn't have to write down a time to do things like make their beds or shower. But you know, I kind of do. I normally get all these things done, but not when or how often I'd like to. And there's nothing stopping me really, I just need a plan. For a long time I felt like I was working from deadline to deadline, with things coming up (or reappearing after I'd forgotten them) with only a few hours or days for me to complete them. I had no rhythm or balance. I was just getting by, splendidly I'll add, but I wasn't hitting life running, it was hitting me.

After my first time map was stuck on the fridge, I straight away made changes with pen and continued to do so as needed. The efficiency is in the execution. I'll be interested to see if I've gotten it right this time, or if I'll be changing much as I go.

Do you have a similar system? Will you now that you've seen mine?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Mariah. I've wanted to get all my routines and a plan for the week on paper for some time but hadn't been able to get my head round how to do it. I'm definitely going to give this a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO the Procrastination Queen... maybe a daily plan could work for me also!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?